Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Recycled Coffee Table Facelift

My mother Found this old solid Cherry Wood coffee table on the side of the road for FREE... ohh how I love that. So she grabed it to me knowing that I'm obsessed with re-doing old furniture so I gave it a face lift, so fun and easy. Here is what I did.

  •  Sanded it so the primer will stick using a fine grade


  •  I love to leave wear spots or creases in the wood I just lightly sand this way when you stain it will be more aged looking. 


  •  Prime with a white primer so you use less spray paint it's about $1 less 


  • Spray thin layers of spray paint about 10 mins apart till nice and solid. Color shown is Rust-oleum Green Apple one of my favorites right now
I didn't take a picture of the last process I did, the stain, which makes it look finished I was up late painting :) I'll show you next piece I create. Can't wait to show you when it's dry and all finished.
  • Brush black stain on with a paint brush or sponge then immediately wipe it off with a damp rag repeat till you get as rustic as you like I do 1'x1' sections at a time. I do usually around 2 layers for a nice aged look let dry completely in between layers.
  • If you would like a more aged look use your orbital sander and light sand the edges so the wood shows through
  • My favorite step is the final coat which is  Polyurethane I usually do about four layers total. I start with one layer of Poly then do another within a hour then let it dry overnight. Lightly sand with super fine sandpaper then spray the last two layers. If it is a piece that is used a lot I love Polyurethane it is much harder then spray paint and I use spray Polyurethane it leaves a much smoother finish like glass so nice.

Can't wait to show you the final product I have about five projects going on right now.... I always do this so much at once. Do you ever start a ton of projects at once? I feel like my creative juices are flowing it's sunny outside I must have needed some Vitamin D to get me going!

2 comments:

Meg said...

Love the table re-do! I haven't tackled furniture re-do yet. I am scared that once I do I might never want to stop. LOL! Thanks for stopping by my blog ... I am glad you found me too! :D

Mary Ann Pickett said...

That coffee table is fabulous.
Mary Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...